Monday, March 22, 2010

One Thing Leads to Another: Pt. 4 - A Book Encourages Me




Now that Khemo and I were going to be “doing dressage” -- at least during our scheduled lessons -- it seemed like a good idea for me to figure out exactly what this dressage thing was. Really, all I “knew” at the time was what the rider’s outfit looked like -- I could recognize a dressage rider by his clothes, and that was pretty much it.


Because of intervening horse shows and other scheduling issues, there were some weeks to wait before our first lesson with the Morgan mare’s person’s trainer. In the meantime, I began to educate myself in this subject we had so haphazardly taken up.


This was in the time before Google. In fact, it was a few years before I bought my first pc. So, I did what we did in those days -- I laboriously sought out hard copy sources of information by combing tack stores in the area, and the big Miller’s catalog, for books, videos (for you youngsters, they’re what came before dvds), and magazines on the subject. I read and watched everything I could get my hands on.


It was a fortuitous time to begin a study of dressage history and theory. So many dressage books were being published in the early 90’s -- re-issues of “classics” as well as new work by contemporary practitioners and would-be masters. There were books that gave me a thorough historical overview of the subject, new translations of books that represented the life’s work of “old Masters”, and many books that went into great detail about specific movements and various methods and techniques for training them.


If it had "dressage" in the title, I snapped it up. I read one book after another. This voracious reading and video viewing on all things equine became a habit of mine that continues to this day....


Some months after I began my intensive study of dressage, I came across a book that stood out from all the others: “Dressage for the New Age” by Dominque Barbier. This book spoke to me. It gave voice to vague thoughts and feelings I had been having about riding and about being with horses -- thoughts and feelings for which there was absolutely no recognition or support in my environment or in the other material I was reading.

(What I would say now, with hindsight, is that I was learning things directly from Khemo because of the bond between us, and I had no frame of reference for knowledge obtained this way.)


“Dressage for the New Age” openly condemned forceful riding that relied on whip, spur, kicking and pushing. It directly addressed the relationship between horse and human and the nature of the communication between them. Barbier recommended that we acknowledge the horse’s ability to read our minds, and develop the ability to use our mental images, visualization, as the primary aid in our work.


One photo in the book that inspired me then shows Barbier riding the stallion, Dom Giovanni in piaffe. Instead of a double bridle with its two bits, Dom Giovanni’s head is nearly bare, he has only a string in his mouth. This photo fanned the barely flickering ember of my childhood dream of bridle-less riding. Barbier's book helped me keep that dream alive through all the years when books and lessons and various “experts” seemed to say that such a thing was impossible.


Here are some quotes from the book to give you an idea of how different it was: From Barbier's short 3-page Introduction:


“...riding should consist of asking the horse politely for what you wish. No kicking, driving, spurring, or whipping. Think first, then ask your horse for what you want.....


And, “... If you force you contract the horse. You actually make him worse, not better, because you create mental and physical stress.”


And, still from the Introduction: “...Nor can you train without love. this will sound airy perhaps, but only deep love and understanding coordinated with refined tact will give you positive results with horses.


From page 31 of my edition, under a sub-chapter titled “Attitudes Needed by the Rider”:


“...Horses have all the changeable qualities that human beings have. Treat them as equal beings. Try to feel and understand your horse physically and mentally on any given day....”


Imagine that! Someone -- an “expert” -- was talking about loving the horse and communicating mind to mind! It was such a relief to read that. It validated some experiences I was having with Khemo, experiences that made me certain he was reading my mind. And it was such a pleasure to be reading about horses as thinking, feeling equals, ( Barbier comes right out and says this !!) rather than as large pieces of meat -- or unfeeling puppets -- to be manipulated.


My riding lessons at the time (I was on trainer #2 by then -- more about that in another entry) were not at all supportive of Barbier’s way of seeing the horse and working with him. On the contrary, underlying the dressage instructors’ talk of “harmony” and “lightness” was the belief that the horse had to be “forced” into this attitude by driving him with whatever means were necessary into a fixed rein. Whip and spur were necessary “inducements”. Two “trainers” in particular (more about them in a subsequent post) seemed to assume that the relationship between horse and “rider” was an adversarial one. It was the old “he needs to be shown who is boss” mentality. Much of this has become clear to me only with hindsight, but even at the time I felt a “disconnect” between the kind of relationship I wanted with a horse and the kind my “teachers” were fostering. Under the circumstances, the affirmation and encouragement offered by Barbier’s book was a most welcome gift.


Most of “Dressage for the New Age” concerns itself with points of riding and training, so I have not had occasion to refer to it in many years. But, as I was leafing through the book recently, to remind myself of why I liked it so much at the time, I found the following passage (on page 31 in that sub-chapter titled “Attitudes Needed by the Rider”) -- a passage that is still very relevant to me today:



Generally, since body attitude reflects mental attitude, change your mind first -- your body will follow. Completely relax your mind and body. Let go of the worries that you have at home or at the office. Create that very special little space in your mind where you are quiet, at peace, in communion, full of love and appreciation.



Good advice indeed -- even now, nearly 20 years later.


The moral from this part of the journey:


Make it your mission to always relate to horses from that "very special ... space... where you are quiet, at peace, in communion, full of love and appreciation."



8 comments:

  1. Kris,
    What a delight to read again some of Barbier's underlying philosophy regarding horses and dressage! His book was very beneficial to me back in my dressage days as well.

    His recommendation that we relate to horses from a heart of love, understanding and appreciation prompted a memory of something that was written in the book on "The Beautiful Jim Key" which you have listed under your "reading list":

    "The secret of Beautiful Jim Key's extraordinary abilities was something more than 'simply education.' Yes, it was kindness and patience, together with the strange life among humans that Jim had lived early on and the inseparable nature of the relationship between horse and man. It was both more than all that and yet more basic. It was love. The love between human and non-human was so powerful it had bridged the language divide...Jim was happy when Doc Key was happy. The secret was love."

    You touched on this in one of your prior blog essays, prompting us to identify if it was the horse as herself, as an appreciated individual being which we loved, or if it was all the horse related elements which kept us in our relationships with horses.

    I think that all the truly masterful trainers, those whose relationships with horses demonstrate flowing beauty born of mutual enjoyment (rather than drilled-in-technical-exactitude) have such beneficial results because they put the love of the horse as an intelligent, individual-being at the foundation of their reason for developing their relationship.

    I hope you are enjoying relaying the early days with Khemo...I certainly am enjoying reading about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Lynne!
    What was interesting about going through Barbier's book again after not looking at it in more than a decade was to notice, first, how much of it is totally irrelevant to me now... and has been for a long time. I know you can relate to that. :-)

    The second interesting thing was that, even all these years further into the "new age" there is still very little written about the need for love, and the nature of the mind to mind communication about which Barbier writes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, to Lynne -- (I posted my reply comment too soon)

    The feelings that are coming up as I mine my memories of the early days with Khemo are definitely mixed. Remembering Khemo and how simply wonderful he was brings great joy and great sadness in almost equal parts. I wish I had a "do over" of certain parts of our journey.... and yet I know that even the parts I would do differently now belong the the whole.

    It's a heart-opening exercise to be able to hold these conflicting feelings and stay peaceful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, what a wonderful way to get to know Khemo and your relationship with him a little better. I always wanted to know more about him, since I wasn’t there when he was alive. When I saw the first photo’s of Khemo I knew at once he must have been a very special horse. I think there are a few horses (and other animals too) out there that have a special gift to teach us about love. Khemo was definitely one of them. I think he would be pleased to know how he (and his love for you) still play such an important part in your life and that of others through your blog.

    Miek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris,
    I don't know if I ever told you that Kevin and I audited a Dominique Barbier clinic, oh, golly, must have been in like 1995 give or take a year.

    I was unsettled by what I saw, which unfortunately was incongruent with the lovely quotes you relayed form his book. Today, I would have said he was using harassment, intimidation and pain to obtain the desired result from a reluctant warmblood gelding...back then I just thought he was harsher than necessary and knew that I would not want to be like that with my own horse, but figured he was the pro and must have his reasons which I could not appreciate.

    Which of course, most trainers have what seem to them to be sound reasons for harsh and punitive handling of horses...I'm very relieved that more information has come out since then showing that for some horse trainers, training with love and appreciation are not just nice words in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, there is sometimes -- often -- a huge disconnect between what people say and what they do, between stated ideals and everyday practice... and not just as pertains to interacting with horses.

    I never saw Barbier work in person. I remember being very disappointed in a video set of his. The work was flat, mediocre. The video was much more about "Barbier" than about horses.

    Still, the book's nice words about love and appreciation, and the affirmation that mind-to-mind communication with a horse was REAL, were a great encouragement to me at the time to keep placing a higher value on my feelings for Khemo and the communication we were developing, than on the opinions of people around me.

    For me the point is not whether Barbier (or anyone else) practices what he/she preaches. That's not my business. My business is what goes on between me and the horses in my life. If someone's words inspire me to nobler ideals and higher standards in my own practice, *that's* the gift. And I'm grateful.

    If someone gives me the key to heaven and it gives me access, does it matter that the giver can't get it to turn the lock?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miek,
    Thanks for reading!

    Khemo was a great horse... I feel like I'm keeping his memory alive by sharing some of our stories. It makes me happy that your enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "For me the point is not whether Barbier (or anyone else) practices what he/she preaches. That's not my business. My business is what goes on between me and the horses in my life. If someone's words inspire me to nobler ideals and higher standards in my own practice, *that's* the gift. And I'm grateful."

    You are absolutely right here, and I agree. It does help, however, for individuals who "learn by seeing" more than by reading and self-inspiration, to view actual interactions that reflect these higher ideals.

    ReplyDelete