Monday, June 21, 2010

Our Lyin' Eyes



“I can’t believe my eyes!”

Who knew?

That expression is literally true.


I’d complete this blog in rhyme,

if I had the talent...

and the time.

But I don’t.

So I won’t.


(End of bad poetry section.)




Our eyes deceive us all the time in large ways and small, even if our vision is 20-20, even when we are making a real effort to see clearly.


For a short video by two psychologists on this very subject, see here: http://viscog.beckman.illinois.edu/flashmovie/15.php


The phenomenon of "lyin' eyes" first became painfully evident to me around 35 years ago when I began studying photography, taking some classes at the School of Visual Arts in New York. It was frustrating, exasperating, discouraging, etc., to again and again discover what I thought had been a great shot ruined by something to which my eyes had been blind, that the camera “saw” with perfect clarity.


This was of course in the days before digital photography. There was no instant feedback. A captured imaged lay dormant inside the camera until film was developed and the negative printed. Hours, days, sometimes weeks, would pass before I would see the negatives, or proof sheets of the photos I had taken. So, much of my photography practice in those days consisted of learning to see as a camera “sees”, in order to improve my odds of producing photos that actually expressed what I wanted to show. I learned to visually translate colors to shades of gray, to account for the distortion of the various focal lengths of the lenses I used, and to focus precisely. Most importantly though, I practiced noticing what was actually framed in my viewfinder. I practiced being aware of what was there, rather than seeing only what I wanted to see.


My passion for my photography hobby cooled as other interests -- among them making a living and building a career -- consumed my time and energy. For many years I rarely picked up a camera, and when I did, I was not photographing mindfully, just taking “snapshots” on automatic. The camera was on “automatic”, too. When it comes to mindfulness, it is easy to get out of practice.


About six years ago, when I decided to take responsibility for trimming my horses‘ hooves myself under the guidance of a talented and experienced trimmer who lived half a country away, I had to get on intimate terms with a camera once more. The necessity of having to take accurate photographs of the horses' hooves brought home to me again the truth of the statement, “I can’t believe my eyes”.


When my horses were due for a trim, I would email photos to my teacher -- 3 very specific views of each hoof as well as a few “big picture” shots. With the photos in front of us, my teacher and I would get on the phone together to discuss the state of the hooves and what was going on with the horses and in their environment. I would get my trim instructions and go out to do the work within a day of our conversation. Immediately after trimming each horse, I would take another complete set of photos to send to my teacher for her feedback. We’d talk again, looking at the "after" photos together.


Then I’d make corrections. For a long time there were *always* corrections to be made to my trims.


It was a shock to look closely at the after-trim photos. A hoof that had appeared perfectly trimmed when I was holding it in my hands looking at it with my own eyes, was revealed by the camera to be in need of quite a bit of additional work. This was particularly true when it came to hoof balance. The camera showed me honestly when a bit of heel or toe needed to come off to balance the hoof -- my eyes lied. They automatically corrected the error so that I could see the balance that I wanted to see.


If our eyes can deceive us about the reality of a single hoof, held steady in our hand -- how much greater is the deception when we are looking at the whole horse, in motion, in an environment -- like a horse show or expo, for example -- where many things are happening all at once?


My friend Miek has provided us with an interesting illustration of how even well-intentioned people can look at something without seeing what is actually there.


Miek and her husband are both animal lovers. Their dogs and Miek’s horse are considered members of the family, and much effort is made to assure that the four-legged ones have healthy and happy lives. Last year, Miek attended an “Animal Event” accompanied by her husband. The photos below were taken by Miek at that event. (Thank you Miek, for letting me use them here.)























Miek wrote to me that the Animal Event is not a competition -- just a series of demonstrations for the enjoyment of the public. There are no prizes to be won, and there are lots of children watching. The horses and riders are there purely for the entertainment, and perhaps “education” of the audience.


One of the riders in these photos is an Olympic contestant on a high-ranking team, so we are not looking at untrained, unskilled horsemanship. Two other horses are ridden by students from a famous training center, a place where people who want to make a career of working with horses go to learn.


While she was photographing the horses, Miek noticed that her husband was paying close attention to the riders (particularly one good looking blond woman) and horses; he was entranced by the “whole shining picture”. After the event, when Miek showed her husband the photos she had taken, this kind-hearted, animal-loving man was stunned. Even though he was looking right at these horses, he simply did not see the expressions of tension and pain. He told Miek he felt as if he had seen a different demo than the one she photographed.


Look at the spectators visible in some of the pictures. Their expressions show rapt attention. How much of what is actually going on right before their eyes do they actually see?


What do you see in Miek’s photos?






“When we cause insane chaos, horses will not vocalize their opinions or protest by making sounds. Even when in terrible pain, a horse does not scream or whimper. That is why a human observer is perhaps not able to recognize a horse’s suffering –he cannot “hear” it. A horse remains mute, he does not “speak up” because he communicates on a totally different level.” ("Empowered Horses" by Imke Spilker)


6 comments:

  1. Kris, from my old dressage days, I remember seeing so many images of horses "on the bit" that were like these here, and how normal they seemed then...if the horse wasn't actively flipping his head to get away from the connection of the bit and reins, one considered them obedient and accepting of the "contact".

    How long ago that seems, and how difficult it is now to see things that I used to do myself that now make me cry out to free the horse from this type of torture. How could we ever think it was not torturous to put horses in these situations where they have no relief from the pain and constriction of metal in their mouths, but must keep moving into such unyielding pressure?

    Your blog entry today had me remembering another quote of Imke Spilker's which is appropriate here, too:

    "There is an entryway. Once you go through it, you will never again be able to distance yourself from the concerns of horses. You will no longer be deaf to their language. You will no longer be unreceptive to their feelings." (pg.15 of Empowered Horses)

    I think it is imperative that we show photos like these, so that like Miek's husband, we learn to see what the horse is feeling. Thank you for your "entryway".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't prepared for what you were going to reveal and so when I saw the images with no time to mentally prepare for them, they gripped me physically.

    I stopped riding a few months ago because of Empowered Horses -- after I experienced that book I stopped demanding things of my horse and started listening to him and what I heard was that he does not want to be my mount. He wants to be free. He loves to be free.

    The other day on Facebook a "friend " talked about how her young stallion was reluctantly giving in to becoming a working show horse. The sentence gripped me, too. I imagined the fine young horse loosing part of his spirit, deadening himself to survive what was being demanded of him. I did not know how to respond to the woman's post on FB and so said nothing. But now I will go back to my own page and post this blog's url again. Thank you -- though we can not force others to walk through the door we can at least show them that the entry way is indeed, open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, Kris, I am one of those people who need to take a picture of the hoof to "see" what the hoof really looks like. The camera is a marvelous tool for the visually challenged thinking types, providing a "third eye" so to speak, pulling us out of our entanglement with the situation that prevents us from seeing it clearly.

    When it comes to seeing or "unseeing" we are all "experts" and always in danger of being stuck there.

    I remember the shock and disbelief when I saw, as if for the first time, the depth of pain & sorrow in Shadow's eyes in a photo someone else had taken to show mw just that. Her account of what she saw when she watched the two of us riding out into the field. Me posing with my horse for a photo op, the total disconnect that was invisible to me at the time, being part of the scene from which i could not extract myself. It required someone else's eyes to show me what i failed to see.

    I remember the initial shock, followed by disbelief and denial. But the "damage" was done, and worked it's way deep into the blind assumptions that governed the way I related and "saw" my horse.

    Thank you Miek for taking these pictures, and Kris for another thought-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the other side of it, human that develop an awareness for the physical sign (illness, emotion) by communicating regularly with horses can benefit not only the horses but actually more the humans. I have notice that I "see" more this side when I meet people and I help many people that were not expressing verbally their physical pain and they were very pleased and at the same time kind of amaze that I notice and assisted them.

    Monica Bretschneider

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Monica --
    Thank you for reading and commenting.

    Yes, I agree that developing awareness of the physical signs (as well as the more subtle indicators) of illness, injury, tension, etc. is extremely important. It is a way we can begin to help horses (and other animals, including human beings). So educating our eyes, developing our "feel", studying anatomy and biomechanics -- those make us better and more accurate "listeners." Also important is to know what is really going on with ourselves -- what kind of imbalances, physical and or emotional, do we bring with us when we go to the horses?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kris,

    What I find interesting and actually surprising is how much horse owner promotes the importance of studying anatomy and biomechanics of the horse to understand them (or care for)but when you ask them if they know there own and their pets (dogs, cats, birds) usually the answer is "no" ( they would refer to their doctor or their vet). The best example would be Lydia Nevzorova who has a dog and I believe a goat too and being an extreme horse scientist you would think that she would be as knowledgeable in other area but like she told me " not enough time in this life to study beyond the horse". I think there is the fact that the cost of maintenance of a horse is more expensive and also (like for Russia) good vetenerian practice is sometimes rare. I believe this is what motivates horse owner to study hippology in the first place, don't you think? Of my own experience, I started into that path of "studying anatomy" when the horse trimmer did not succeed to do his job. And further more, today I am learning myself car mecanics, gardening, renovation, landscaping, carpentry,... and I will try to learn all the anatomy of cow, deer, cat, dog ,raccoon, coyote,bear squirrel,some type of birds too ! (I guess I will have to find a way to live past my 200 yrs! ;)

    "what is really going on with ourselves -- what kind of imbalances, physical and or emotional, do we bring with us when we go to the horses? " I agree this is important because horses react strongly to "negativeness" when we talk about the emotions we are in. But like Lynne Gerard illustrates often in her blog horses can help us "retune" ourselves along with nature. This is the way I think when I go to my horses.

    ReplyDelete